Friday 1 October 2010

Making rosehip syrup with eight year olds from Wallands School

The Lottie project asked me to join in with one of their school parties for a Herbal medicine making session. What a treat it was, i loved working with the children. Every other week a group of 12 children visit the community allotment in Lewes run by Sarah Rideout and Tanya Lewis, to grow some fruit and veg and often to harvest and cook themselves lunch. Their organisation Common Cause promotes gardening and growing locally.
This is the season of berries, bright and alluring to children, but often children are nowadays taught that all wild berries are poisonous. It was good to teach their benefits. I brought some Thyme from my garden, Some Liquorice from my dispensary and after putting the Liquorice on to simmer we went of to collect Rose hips together. This was a fun part of the morning and gave the children real ownership of the finished product. Rose hips were collected in WWII in their tonnes to provide English children with Vitamin C when supplies of oranges couldn't get here. They contain the highest concentration of Vit. C of any (certainly indigenous) fruit.
I think that its really important that children are taught sometimes by non teachers as i don't have to conform to any "standard practices " or education agendas. We took the hips back to the camp kitchen and i smashed the hips up in a tea towel between rocks before putting them into the Liquorice brew. They had 15 minutes simmering gently and the Thyme went in for the last five minutes of this. The whole brew was poured into a muslin bag and pressed through the press you can see. Though not strictly necessary, i thought the children would like to use some machinery, and the press added to the theatre of the event. Everyone had a spin of the press, and the resulting decoction was returned to the clean pan and sugar added. Three kilos of sugar added to 2 Litres of decoction. Yes its a lot of sugar, some people use a ratio of 1:1, some 2:1 sugar:liquid, mine was in between. I didn't want their syrups to go mouldy. When the sugar had melted the syrup was poured into sterilised bottles , labelled by the children, so they could take it home. A certificate of excellence in potion making was awarded to each child.

1 comment:

Clara david said...

WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are David
Clara I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of
breast cancer and her name is David Sandra I and my family have taking her
to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to
the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady
called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a
herbal man who has the root and half to cure all kind of disease and the
herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man for my
younger sister help tHe estado afectado por cáncer durante muchos años. Necesito curarme ahora.o cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him
my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be
cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that
I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how
can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me

That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for
the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier
service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week
complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not
knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the
miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the
herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he
didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him
and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if
you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from
the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whatsapp him
+2348110114739 for the cure, he will help you out with the
problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me
davidclara223@gmail.com or whatsApp me +1(209)2621918